Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Do YOU Dress Up When Taking Your Kids Trick-or-Treating?

Image credit: NBC
While watching last night's Halloween-themed episode of Parenthood as all the parents with small kids, along with the children's grandparents, dressed in costume while the children trick-or-treated around the neighborhood, I wondered, "How many parents actually do this?"

Sure, I might put on a pair of Groucho Marx glasses or don a weird hat when I'm answering the door to trick-or-treaters while The Spouse is taking the Picket Fence Post kids out to collect sugary goodies which'll turn them into actual monsters, but I've never donned a costume. Neither has the The Spouse. And neither have the parents who've taken their kids to my house to trick-or-treat on Halloween.

Do parents in your area dress in costume on Halloween night when they take their kids trick-or-treating?

Best part of the Parenthood episode -- "Orange Alert," which I reviewed here -- was when the parents looted their kids' Halloween candy afterward. So. True. (It'd be a lot easier to pilfer from their Halloween bounty if The Eldest Son didn't literally count his candy before going to bed.)

Image credit: NBC.

1 comment:

  1. No costumes for us either, we tried to be in the background as much as possible. One time a long time ago I wore a witch's hat when giving out candy to the 3 people who came to my door.

    About the looting your kids' candy thing--one of my nephews, who is very Bart Simpson-esque in every way, didn't understand that parents pilfered as soon as school begins after Halloween. He was 15 and said he wasn't going out, then said he was, grabbed a pillow case and left. The next day my SIL went into his bag and found...about 3 bags worth of mini Hershey bars. She said she was not only appalled that he must have paid full price, but that he was stupid enough to buy all the same kind of candy! He was SO bagged when he got home..

    ReplyDelete